Friday, May 11, 2012

Introduction

I have served with a full spectrum of leaders, some great, mediocre, poor, and just plain losers.  I have learned from all and it is my sincere desire to improve the first three and marginalize the latter two.  This is the purpose of the blog.  I believe everyone deserves first-class leadership.  However good leadership is not mathematic, there is no magic equation that will bring it about.  There are natural leaders who soak up the instruction and others who possess minimal natural talent but can be taught and excel through determination and mentorship.  Unfortunately there are some who will never be leaders.  Human beings are complex, amazingly talented in some ways, yet limited in others. 

I will share guidelines and concepts I believe will help ground young leaders (get them thinking straight) and move them in the right direction.  I will offer some ideas on more advanced leadership ideas that can help mid level leaders in what many in the military refer to as “herding the cats”… that is leading the experienced.  This requires a different leadership dynamic. 

The first concept I will discuss is brevity, “keep it brief.”  This blog will be an easy read.  I believe people are more likely to absorb the concepts if I keep it brief and simple.  If I can provide one or two take-aways, I will consider myself a success.

As a young Army leader in training I was told that leadership is the ability to influence others to do something they wouldn’t otherwise do.  I have always liked this as a base line definition.  I believe this is appropriate.  In this blog I intend to build on this and add concepts by offering simple strategies and personal anecdotes.  But first we need to take a look at the basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment